Monday 11 June 2012

Reflection A

I chose this topic because it was something that I knew absolutely nothing about.  I wanted to truly educate myself and learn about an issue that not most others did, rather than focus on a topic that gets more recognition (not to say that those such topics require less attention than mine). "Female Genital Mutilation"were three words that really stood out to me on the page we received the first day we started this project outline, it's hard to ignore something with a name as cacophonous as that.

I learned about the troubles that some girls will go through in order to fit in and be accepted by society as a whole and their families as individuals. I also learned how blinded some people are by tradition and how it makes them overlook personal well being in order to please others. The world is obviously a very cruel place, but it's hard to imagine it as one so cruel as to twist an entire population's mind into thinking that mutilating and permanently damaging the mind and body of a young girl is acceptable. I still believe that this issue needs more recognition than it gets, because it most certainly does not get enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment